Sewing the V8577

This #v8577 pattern is among the series of “Very Easy Vogue” patterns, but somehow I spent weeks on it. I’d had my eye on it for a while, perhaps since my first year sewing when Vogue patterns seemed impossible, and I finally jumped into it. In theory, it was nothing difficult, but it still hung 3/4ths finished for weeks, waiting for buttons, waiting for a hem…

I hoped to test out some of my better sewing skills on this project, and I only sort of made it work. Things started well when I picked up this pink linen-ish material at a local designers end of season sale. While I was glad to pair this fabric with the pattern, my cat had other plans and threw up on it. I should have read this as a premonition that this project wouldn’t be as easy as advertised.

Many have voiced their interest in sewing this pattern alongside their hesitance that it takes up a lot of fabric–it does, almost 5 meters. That said, it also takes up a lot of tracing paper. The skirt is huge and tracing it is almost more cumbersome then cutting and sewing. Trying to find a place for my pattern pieces was a bother. At every turn, this project took up so much space, which made moving from one step to the other a challenge. These little hiccups can make me loose some tactility, but once everything was traced and ready to go, sewing the dress was fine. I didn’t make a muslin for the bodice, opting for some fit-as-I go. I measured, instead. The shoulder gathers, for example, work well with a large bust. I was able to adjust the shoulder length by cutting out a sizable piece off the edges. They hung a little like faux kimono sleeves on me. Then there were some adjustments I didn’t catch until after. The darts from the waist up could be lower (as I usually make them) and there is some extra fabric at the back of the neck.

I also veered off slightly from the directions. Although pattern instructions suggest a full lining, my fabric is very heavy so I only lined the bodice. I did a self lined yoke and drew front facings, then paired them with a light cotton. My insides are looking better and better, but I still don’t want to show it off in pictures. Another difference in construction is that I didn’t cut the back waist band, back, and yoke in two pieces, as the pattern suggests. I removed the seam allowance and cut them all on the fold. I prefer less seamlines, but really, the idea of getting everything to line up well was terrifying, so I made it easier.

Up until buttonhole sewing, I was feeling pretty good about the dress. However, there were more bumps to come. I followed the pattern button placement, and somewhat regret it. The spacing is a little awkward and the fabric doesn’t lay as flat as I wish it did–this almost ruined the pleasure of the dress for me. I’ve seen this happen with a few other versions, too. I hoped to avoid it, but wasn’t able. Although I’m liking Vogue patterns this summer, something about their button placement doesn’t sit well with me.

Lastly, the hem is as amateur as it could be. Yes, it is a little uneven. The skirt of this dress is HUGE. I felt like I was sewing a wedding dress together. It took up all my desk space, was on my lap, everywhere. So, hemming it was daunting and I just didn’t have the ability to get it really right with limited tools. Someday, I will fix it, but that day isn’t in this season.

The bumps in the process of sewing this dress slowed me down, and, after everything, that’s fine by me. The dress is so cupcake-y that I don’t even know where to wear it yet, and I was in no rush to take pictures. When I did though, I felt so nice. The dress is comfortable, soft, and just pretty. I’m glad to have made it. While I probably wouldn’t use the skirt again, the bodice design stays with me. I’m imagining a version with a short, straight skirt that could last throughout the year.



9 thoughts on “Sewing the V8577

  1. Oh yes, the “very easy” patterns… I keep wondering on what basis they assign the difficulty levels? I’ve struggled with some “very easy” patterns, and I can’t say that the tricky elements of construction on those were explained in a way that would make them “very easy.” With Vogue, I tend to fall for the beautiful illustrated pattern envelopes on patterns of that type 😉

    The dress looks good! I hear you on the buttonhole front. I used the marked buttonholes one time and the results were similar… I kept trying to press things out, but that wasn’t it. Maybe it really is essential to just mark your own buttonholes…


  2. Love this- very generous cut to the skirt and it looks so beautifully cut and gorgeous on you, hemming must have been a nightmare, adore the way it hangs and the pockets sit. very fine indeed

    Liked by 1 person

  3. This is beautiful!! Well done!! And I feel you on button placement. I leaned long ago to straight up ignore suggested button placement. It’s always wonky for me. And you might have more success using binding for your hem. I know that’s my go-to with a circle skirt (esp with prepackaged bias tape so I don’t have to make it myself!). It seems like the weight of your fabric would take it nicely, and it always gives me a cleaner hem finish than just turning under 🙂

    Liked by 1 person

  4. I think you did a really beautiful job and the dress looks gorgeous on you! Congratulations and thanks for sharing the journey.


  5. I’ve just made one of these in navy viscose, hem waiting to be done! No I didn’t line either so ended up making a facing for around front and neck I joined to existing facing pieces. Also felt armscye just too low. I’ll post a picture once hem is done!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s