Next up in my DP studio summer sewing recap is le 600.
Le 600 had long been on my list. I finally had the chance to make it in good company. A structured blouse with lots going on (pleats! elastic! a collar! a partially open back!), this pattern is a puzzle and best sewn with a friend. This is what I did! Two heads was better than one for this project.
I’ve gained confidence sewing with DP studio since sewing the knot skirt. That was a real challenge! Thankfully, as I learned with le 600, many of the trickier new-to-me details in the knot skirt also appeared in the 600 pattern. In particular, the intricate pleat and folding design used to create the bows in the knot skirt is used in the 600 to create the pleats at the necks.
As I had already had some experience with the pleat folding techniques used by DP, sewing the 600 was less of a head scratcher. But it wasn’t a quick, simple sew either. Although the project was smooth and enjoyable, inserting the back section of the top and sleeve was the most confusing step. I wasn’t sure if I was sewing the back sleeve properly because the back design was unfamiliar to me.
There is a sharp corner on the front and back of the sleeve, but this is not noticeable in the line drawing or on the model. The shoulder pleat actually covers the “corner” of the front and back shoulder seam. In my confusion, I was over complicating this task. I eventually realized that the sleeve is just a vamped up Raglan sleeve. All I needed to do was follow the seam lines as I would with any pattern. But, as sharp corners are included in the design, it is important to clip corners to reduce pressure on the seams.
This top design includes a long list of details that result in a sophisticated final product. I aimed to do justice to the design with my fabric choices, however I chose instinctively. I used a light sepia striped cotton fabric for the many part of the top.
I then used some leftover striped embroidered cotton (used for my RDC Anita top earlier in summer) for the collar. The collar is cut somewhat on the bias which meant that pattern matching each side of the collar required patience. I was grateful my sewing partner’s second opinion!
That said, I’d rate this project as deceptively advanced. The top doesn’t look simple by any means, but I don’t think it looks as involved as it actually is. There are quite a few techniques one requires to successfully complete this top—those which go into collar making, pleat forming, making a casing for the elastic, and remembering to reduce certain seams or clip corners. Of course, I think these skills are easy enough to learn. However, if you are not already comfortable doing most or all of these skills regularly, then the techniques involved in the construction of this top might be a lot to handle at once.
Using contrasting fabrics is one of the design techniques I try to practice regularly. I like the way the main fabric and collar fabric work together. Despite each being distinct, together, they create a soft, balanced look.
Even though the 600 is a modern style, my top has a surprisingly vintage appearance. I believe my embellishment with petersham ribbon in the back of the collar enhances the old-world vibe. This vintage character wasn’t on my mind while planning or sewing the top, but it doesn’t feel unnatural. If you’re interested in the top, check out those made by other sewists. There are some jersey versions and dress versions featured on IG, so the pattern can take on many faces as a garment.
While I don’t intend to sew it again any time soon (or maybe ever), my reason is that I find my version satisfying. Overall, this project was stimulating and engaging in terms of construction, and a good representative of my type of sewing style.